The Meeting[Mild Swearing]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Meeting[Mild Swearing]

Post  Mousen Heath on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 9:39 am

It had been too long since all the spirits had gathered in one place. They chose Logmarr as their destination, not only because it was right in the middle of Aeris, but because Logmarr was one of the better peace keepers out of them all. He'd been pacing in the clearing where they'd been scheduled to meet since dawn, and it wasn't long before his sister Brandr turned up with Svanhildr. The two girls chatted happily, and Logmarr felt relief flood through him at the sight of them getting along so well. His and Svanhildr's relationship had been more rumours than anything, though, it was about time small secrets were put out into the open.

"Brother, you look nervous! You shouldn't be, it'll be fine! Oddin's fine, Ochre isn't going to kill Fenris and...! Well, just look on the brightside." She said cheerfully, Branr was Ochre's best friend, so it was quite obvious why she knew everything that was going on between the brothers. Some time had passed since Oddin's meeting with Fenris and Logmarr was begining to suspect that the northernly spirit was begining to feel regret towards the entire incident.

Svanhildr smiled nervously, and sat by the side of him, pressing her face into his shoulder. "Hello." She said softly.

- - - -
Text Colours:

Logmarr: Green
Bjorn: Bolded
Svanhildr: Cyan
Kelda: Olive
Greystone: Turquoise
Eira: Grey
Valdis: Teal
Bjorn: Brown
Fenris: Blue
Oddin: White
Ochre: Dark Red

Last edited by Mousen Heath on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 1:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mousen Heath
Admin

Rhunes : 430

View user profile http://burrowsofaeris.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Meeting[Mild Swearing]

Post  Mousen Heath on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 9:41 am

The next to turn up was Kelda, spirit of the Meadows. She flounced into the clearing with a wide smile. "I see I haven't missed any o' the fun yet! None of our boys are here, aside from you, of course Logmarr, but we can hardly count you, can we?"

Logmarr frowned, looking slightly puzzled.

"Oh! Well, I mean that you're obviously going to be here, since this is the woods. Hehe, sorry."

The green jackalope laughed. "Ah, I see now. Any word from Valdis and, er, Eira?"

Kelda's expression darkened slightly. "You know I don't speak to that stuck up spirit. Valdis has been with her. They should turn up soon, Val mentioned something about it..." She shrugged, faking apathy. It was obvious that Valdis's affection for Eira was bothering her deeply.

However, the dark atmosphere soon passed when Brandr and Kelda started talking, the two bubbly creatures had been good friends for a long time.

Last edited by Mousen Heath on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 9:46 am

The next to arrive, wasn't actually Valdis or Eira, but Greystone. He slunk in with the air of a teenager who'd rather be anywhere but where he was.
"Where have you been?" Svanhildr asked, standing up to hop towards him. "I've hardly seen you around anywhere."

Greystone shrugged. "Just with Neo."

Logmarr spoke up. "By Neo you don't mean Neo Verum? Spirit of Justice, do you?"

"Yeah, I do, actually. Just helping her with all the justice-y stuff she has to do." From his tone it was clear that he didn't want to talk about it, and Svanhildr shot an exited look at her lifemate. Logmarr simply shrugged. They'd both been trying to keep an eye on the young spirit, but it was obvious he didn't really want their help. The fact that he'd found a good friend was certainly something of a relief.

"I take it you to are good friends then? You must be very close." The pale blue spirit tried to place her words carefully, but the other spirit wasn't fooled.

"My love life, or lack of thereof really isn't your buisiness, Svan. I mean, it's nice that you're looking out for me, no- really, you didn't have to do that, but it's none of your business. Neo is my best friend." She was somewhat taken aback by his words, as he was usually so placid and nervous around them all. It was clear he didn't mean any harm by his words, he was just standoffish, maybe that was just who he was? Deciding it was best to not push the topic any further Svanhildr just nodded.

"You can trust me, you know. You're practically like the little brother I never had! If you ever want to talk-"

"This is getting needlessly awkward. But thanks."

Greystone sat alone, placing his front paws on a rock and leaning his head there too. It was a curiously human-like thing to do, but when he was really the only spirit who dealt with people it was to be expected.

Last edited by Mousen Heath on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 9:52 am

Finally, Eira and Valdis turned up. The latter of the two looked decidedly nervous and stuck close to Eira who despite her haughty expression seemed to be slightly nervous as well. As Valdis passed by Kelda, she shot her an apologetic glance, her reply was a hurt-looking glare.

Feeling every inch the awkward host and knowing full well that the issue between the three spirits was one that would have to be spoken about, he approached both Eira and Valdis warily. He couldn't help but feel that Eira had lost a lot of her frosty aura, then again, they hadn't started talking politics. "Hello, nice to see you two. We're just waiting for Fenris and Bjorn and Ochre and Oddin, now. I'm sure they won't be long."

"Good. I was worried we were running late." Eira said. "This meeting is important."

"It is indeed."

"We have been too petty with one another. Myself, especially. I've been... Almost cruel, to you and Oddin especially. ... I'm sorry."

Logmarr couldn't believe his ears. In fact, he stood there for several moments with his mouth gaping open. "W-what? You're appologizing? To me?"

She shrugged, grudgingly. "Just don't get to used to it. That's all."

"Did Valdis put you up to this?"

A few feet away, Valdis was looking rather shell shocked. As a general rule; Eira didn't appologise. Ever. "Surprisingly not."

"I'm glad I can count on you to not make things more difficult than they need to be... Oddin made a mis-"

"A very grave one."

"Yes, a terrible mistake. No doubt he regrets that, and there's nothing he can change. The fact that he's got to take that regret to his death... He's had his punishment, Eira, there's no need to go over it again."

The green and white jackalope nodded her head ever so slightly. Beside her, Valdis was stunned. "That was really brave" She whispered, once Logmarr had moved away.

"It wasn't that brave." She whispered back.

"Still took courage." Valdis insisted quietly.
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Sat 17 Mar 2012, 12:49 pm

Surprisngly, it was actually Fenris and Bjorn that made it to the clearing first. Snow fell from Fenris' antlers like it always did, before melting into the grass. Beside him, Bjorn tried to listen out for Oddin's voice, but she couldn't pick him out. Obviously, he wasn't here yet. Waving in Logmarr's general direction the blind jackalope headed toward Grey who was looking rather bored with everything. Her hearing was exceptional, and had heard his slight sigh.

"Greystone?"
"The same."
"You sound bored."
"I just hate politics. It's all so petty, and I can't stand the way everyone argues."
"Me neither. We all parted on pretty bad terms, though, last time. Things were difficult and Aeris was just peicing itself back together. There was a lot of loos ends to tie up."
"And now?"
"I'd like to think we are getting there."
"...You and Oddin?"
"You and Neo?"
"Okay, you win."
He admitted, holding up his paws.

Fenris approached both Logmarr and Svanhildr who stood together and a simmilar raised it's head. "You two are...?" He trailed off, he knew where this was going. Really, he'd always known that Svanhildr prefferred Logmarr, he just hadn't wanted to admit it. He almost felt like a character in one of those tacky plays.
"We are." Logmarr replied.
"I'm sorry, Fenris. This whole rigmarole was stupid from begining to end, the fact that it's dragged on for this long is just proof that I-"
"It's fine. Honestly. I believe things work out better this way."
"You do?"
"Yes. It wasn't like I didn't know about you two, I'm not that niave."
It hurt, he wouldn't deny the fact that she hadn't chosen him over Logmarr hurt. Doubly so since Logmarr had always been a good friend of his (his best friend if he was being entirely truthful). Though, really, the time for acting like stubborn love-struck teenagers had long past. (Four centuries ago, if he was going to be more accurate about it.) It wasn't like they meant to hurt him it just was what it was.

Last edited by Mousen Heath on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm

Oddin had been muttering the same sentence over and over for about half an hour and it was wearing his brother's patience thin. Since the incident with Fenris Oddin had completely healed, though he looked as if he'd lost a little weight. There was a slight hollowness to his frame which hadn't been there before.

"Something isn't right." Was the sentence.

Ochre sighed. "Everything's going to be fine. Please, just be quiet, we'll be there and a second and we can get this shit straightened out. After four-hundred years, I might add."

The white jackalope shook his head. "I'm serious- I... Can't put my paw on it. There's just something... Not right." The whole event was stressing him out, that much was clear. Out of them all, it was Oddin who had the more skeletons in the closet. In fact, he had a whole cemetery full. He assumed that it was the fear of everything finally being out in the open that was making him feel ever so slightly nauseous. Butterflies were a perfectly normal reaction to this sort of thing.

They were the last to arrive, and as they stepped out into the clearing the head's of the other elder spirits turned towards them.

Logmarr smiled. "Ah, welcome. It has been too long since we've all been in the same place."

"We did spend four hundred years in the same place."

"Eira! That doesn't count."

The Elder from the mountain smirked, turning her attention toward the two jackalope that had just entered the clearing. "Any dirty laundry you want to air before we get started? It seems like the kind of day for that sort of thing. And confessions of love, or apologies or-"

"I'm really sorry, Eira, but you're not my type." Ochre grinned, his warm, teasing expression a long way from her impish smirk.

In response, she only rolled her eyes. Beside her, Valdish shifted uncomfortably, a glance was cast towards Kelda and their eyes met for a brief moment.

Oddin shrugged his shoulders. "I don't see that the timing matters, whether what has to be said is said now or during the council."

Fenris spoke up. "I agree."

With that, Svanhildr stepped into the middle of the clearing. "Then let us begin."
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

Logmarr stepped forward. "Elder spirits are not elected, we cannot be evicted or displaced. We are not here to rule, we have never been in a position of power. We are nothing but caretakers. We are here to protect our forest, our town, village, mountain, field, lake, temple or plains. Nothing else. It's so easy to forget this." It was customary for there to be a short opening speech

"With that, should there be no objections, I declare this council under way." Fenris stepped up. Logmarr had always been his best friend, no amount of rivalry would change that in the end.

They sat in a wide circle. Leading from Ochre to Kelda and round to Fenris and back again.

"There's been unrest between the humans and the jackalope, has there not?" Bjorn prompted, turning towards Greystone.

Greystone nodded. "... There was an, uhm, bar fight a while ago. It was broken up, but... Tensions get a bit high sometimes. I'm working on it."

Eira turned towards Grey, a steely glint in her yellow eyes. "You're 'working on it'? Exactly how are you doing that?"

"By not making disparaging comments at my fellow Elder spirits." He muttered.

"What?"

"Er, there's this guy-- Uhm... Finbar? He knows everyone and their great uncle, I mean, seriously. He's the guy everyone's contacts go to to get contacts. And, uhm, well, because he knows everyone, he's uhm, trying to get them to, uhm... Not kill each other."

"There's been killings?"

"No! Well... There was that one... Oh. Okay. There was two. Or three?"

"Oh my. That's-! That's important! Did you not think of telling us?!"

"Only because they were murdered by, well, y'know that spirit with the lis-"

"Let's talk about something else, ey?"

The white spirit of the temple flinched suddenly.

"Oddin?"

"Oddin? You okay?"

"... I'm fine. Just- It's nothing."
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:15 am

Fenris turned his head to Eira, Kelda and Valdis in turn. "Speaking of conflicts... You three?"

It was then, Eira's expression turned from impassive to downright icy. "I do not think our private lives are any of your concern, Fenris. So long as they don't interfere with our purpose, then they are nothing. You should understand this better than anyone." She hissed. "Besides, I don't speak to Kelda."

"She ignores me, too. Bloody icequeen, too grand to talk to me, ey? Don't even know what I've done wrong, you'd think I'd murdered her Great Aunt Bessie the looks she gives me. Sides, I don't talk to her either."

"Eira! Kelda! Pull yourselves together! This is no time to descend into childish arguments." Logmarr sighed, once they started, those two just wouldn't stop.

Ochre couldn't help but laugh. "You two are hilarious, I mean, seriously. It's almost as if you're refusing to admit what you're actually arguing about. Like anyone doesn't know."

"Oh, lookie, another elephant in the clearing."

"Save your sarcastic remarks for later, Grey." Bjorn interjected.

"But I was having such fun."

"I hope that wasn't a remark about my weight."
Valdis said, with her usual quiet charm.

"It's a human phrase."

"I know."
She replied with a slight grin.

"Guys," Brandr said, her child-like blue eyes looking toward the rest of the group. "I think there's something wrong with Oddin."

Oddin shook his head. "I'm fine." He snapped back.

She shook her head slowly. " 'Something's not right.' That's what you said earlier, and you weren't wrong. You haven't even spoken to Bjorn today."

Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 12:15 pm

Earthquakes were common in the Ochre plains, rocks fell, scars appeared the landscape shook. Once everything had stopped, the creatures that made the place their home returned from their hiding spots and life flourished once again. It was such a wide open space that they rarely caused any lasting damage. The main fault line ran a good distance away from Oddin's Peak, so the temple was rarely affected.

It was a little known fact that there was catacombs beneath the temple. The old temple had been built directly on top of the new one, those catacombs were the passageways of the old temple. No one ventured down there save for Oddin himself. All of the aelurs that lived in the temple, including the high-priestess, Sage, never went down there. It was uninhabited, save for the spiders which spun their webs in the half-light of the torches which hung on the walls.

The whole building started to shake. Aelurs stumbled and ran in panic, most of them sprawled on the floor in a desperate attempt to reach the exit. Outside was just as bad, though the threat of having the ceiling coming down on them was non existent. The few aelurs that had made it outside, were curled up on the ground. No doubt praying for the insanity and chaos that surrounded them to come to a stop.
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:04 am

The spirit yelped, and his thin frame shook. Next to him, Ochre fell sideways and Grey placed his head in his paws.

Ochre forced himself to his paws, he was used to earthquakes and the jittery, dizzying feeling that accompanied them was something he was equally used to. But, this time it was different, had Ochre and Greystone not been affected he would have assumed it was a small tremor from the fault line that ran though the plains. This was clearly different, the epicentre was clearly by the temple.

"Oddin!"

"Oddin!"

"Ochre what the hell is going on?!"

"... Hells bells. What was that!"

Oddin was crouched on the ground, the shaking wasn't shivering though cold or shock, it was like an invisible hand had grabbed him roughly by the antlers and was pushing him from side to side. "I'm afraid... I haven't been entirely honest with you."

"What do you mean?" There was a certain urgency to Logmarr's tone, not only out of concern for his friend but because so far all of Oddin's secrets had been dangerous ones.

"There were always... The rumors. About the catacombs... Beneath the- They're true."

The group of Elder spirits were dumbstruck. There'd always been a few rumours about some thing that was kept in the catacombs, some creatures. But it could hardly be true! It was just a stupid story designed to scare kits!

"Impossible. Oddin, please, this is hardly the time for jokes."

"... Sorry Logmarr. I had no other choice... I couldn't kill them!"

"Are you saying that not all the jackalope that drank the waters died?" They spoke quickly, trying to get answers from the spirit of the temple before he was no longer able to give them.

"Yes... Not all of them died. They were dangerous- The waters changed them. It-" He broke off suddenly and Bjorn placed a paw on his back.

"They'll be dead now. If they weren't dead then they'll be dead now. Won't they?"

"If they're dead, then what's... causing the earthwake?" Despite his obvious pain there was a wry smile on his face. He was beginning to see the cruel irony that presented itself.

Svanhildr spoke up. "What? That's insane? How could they cause an earth quake, at any rate, why would they do it?"

"I would assume that's the easy thing to work out."
Eira's face was grim. "Their purpose is to destroy the temple, then escape. Am I right, Oddin?"

"Piss off, Eira. ... Ack. Don't look too pleased with yourself. You do realize what will happen if the-- if the temple is destroyed?"

"No! No! That's impossible! You were there before the temple was built and you'll be here... Oddin. You can't! The temple can't be-"

"Bjorn, for goodness sake, get your emotions under check! It's not helping anything!"

"The temple isn't going to be destroyed. We won't let it be."

"Of course we won't."

"How fast can eleven elder spirits make it up to the Peak? Don't we, uhm, kind of need to go there?"

"We're in this clearing for a reason, Greystone."
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

As quickly as the eleven spirits reached the Peak, it clearly wasn't quick enough. In the white marble of the temple, a deep crack ran. It was clear that it wasn't a superficial scratch, this crack in the stone went deep. Down into the catacombs, where the creatures that caused the earthwake in the first place had kept all these years. Though, unlike the spirit, they had been awake for those years. It had no doubt given them time to think, to plan. For the seed of an idea to grow.

They slunk from the building like shadows, barely solid and impossible to catch, deformed and wary of the sunlight. The spirits could only watch in horror. The ground still shook, but it was weak, fading as the last of the creatures left the temple. Oddin sat up, supported by Bjorn and Ochre.

The silence was the worst thing. They were beyond arguing, beyond debating, beyond so much as a single word. Their very worst fear was being realized right before them and there was nothing they could do. The only noise were the half formed warnings spilled from Oddin's mouth, however garbled they may have sounded spoken separately there was a clear meaning behind his words. 'Don't go anywhere near them or you'll end up mince meat'.

Fenris, however, wasn't listening to Oddin. He was angry at the elder spirit, defiantly angry- yet again he'd lead them into ruin. How many more times could he cause a disaster? How many more skeletons did Oddin hide? A good portion of those skeletons were strolling out through the front doors of the temple, for goodness sake! Fenris ran toward the nearest creature, and without so much as breaking stride it swiped it's claws right across his face before continuing as though nothing had happened. Fenris returned a moment later with a bloody face and severely wounded pride. Had the situation not been so dire it would have been very funny.

For once, Grey was the first to voice his opinion of the situation. "We're screwed."

That remark summed up their situation rather nicely.
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

One of the creatures stopped and unlike the others it didn't seem to have a desire for an immediate escape. It came to a standstill a few feet before the spirits, and in the harsh light the full extent of what the waters had done to this creature became apparent. Save for the face, it could have been a normal jackalope. If only it were! It had the face of a crow instead of a snout, and never had a beak been twisted into so malicious an expression.

Oddin's expression wasn't even that of fear or hesitation when confronted with the figure. He looked haggard, drained and exhausted due to his ordeal with the earth quake and yet one couldn't mistake the pity in his expression when he looked toward the plagued jackalope.

"Nicolae," He said.

"Do you not fear me, Oddin? I've almost brought your temple down around your ears and yet you look as though you're feeling sorry for me."

Oddin shrugged his shoulders. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen, I didn't mean for any of this to happen. We were friends! I didn't want to have to-"

"You should have killed me when I asked you to."

Bjorn smiled grimly. "You should have asked me. I've would have had no qualms."

He ignored the female elder spirit. "What you did to me, what you did to us was wrong. It wasn't just wrong, it was the worst kind of torture. Normally, I'd just let that sit on your concious for a few days. You do remember my guilt trips? They were more jokes than anything, I was happy to be helping you. Happy that I was your acquaintance-- a friend, even. I may be a pacifist, but I can't say the same for the rest of us. Good bye." He spoke in such a subtle and quiet manner, it contrasted wildly with the subject he spoke off. "Do have a pleasant evening."

"Drop down dead."

"Yes, please do."

"Save us the bloody trouble."

"I quite agree."

"Seconding this motion."

"You've done it now, beaky."

"Yeah!"

"The irony of what you have just done is wonderful. A few moments ago we were fractured, and now-"

"Well, do you see us arguing?"

"Hurt my brother again, and you'll wish you were back in those tunnels."

"Good day, Nic. I wish it didn't have to come down to this."

Their only response from the plagued jackalope was a barely audible whisper. "I do hope to see you all again sometime soon." With that, he was gone along with the rest of the plagued jackalope.

This left the elder spirits to stew their thoughts next to the dazed aelurs of the temple who were only just beginning to pick themselves up off the floor. Logmarr, Ochre and Svanhildr disappeared inside the temple to check for any injured aleurs. Grey gave a half-smile to Bjorn and Oddin before disappearing himself, no doubt to warn the spirit of justice about what had just happened.

"Brandr," The usually cheery spirit looked up from her reverie. She'd been particularly quiet today. "I need you to find Sage, it's important. She's the high priestess, if anything's happened to her..."

"You can count on me, Oddin!"

Kelda, Valdis and Eira were the next to go. There was nothing left for them to do here.

It was just Oddin, Bjorn and Fenris outside of the temple now. "I guess this must be war, now?"

The pale furred spirit didn't look at him as he replied. "Yes, I suppose it must be."
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top