In Search of Tranquility[Possible M]

Go down

In Search of Tranquility[Possible M]

Post  Thepowerofpie on Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

Small sandstone buildings lined the streets of Greystone. This first city built upon Aeris was home to many humans. Now, it was also home to a lone Wood Elf. He sat upon a barstool at The Grey Mare, the local tavern. Clearly, he was lost in thought as his hand twirled a length of reddish-brown hair around his index finger. A deep sigh left his lips before he took a long drink of the frothy ale in front of him.

In the dim lighting of the tavern the elf seemed deathly pale for a member of a race that supposedly spent all their time outdoors. Many would likely mistake him for a human with his rather short stature and hardly tanned skin if they did not get a glimpse of the pointed ears hidden under his hair. However, if one was to think him human, they would likely think he was a rather strong one. His muscles were well toned, and a myriad of scars criss-crossed the visible parts of his flesh.

This elf had come in search of a place free of human corruption, but thus far he had been disappointed. Everything about Greystone reminded him of the other towns he had visited in his decades of wandering. He sought a more simple life. He sought a life free of bloodshed, but in all his travels he had never found a true purpose. Many times he had been presented with paths to follow, but all these paths had ended as abruptly as they had been discovered.

The day was still rather young, and this elf was alone in the tavern aside from the bartender. His garb was more befitting of a brigand than a resident of Greystone, and despite being disarmed he still seemed quite out of place in such a seemingly peaceful town. He desired peace, yet his presence often brought violence. Humans we're rarely kind to elves, more often viewing them as property than equals. More than once he had been forced to use violence to defend himself from bigoted humans. It was unfortunate, but true.

Experience had taught him to expect the worst in humans, but something about Greystone's novelty made him feel like the humans therein might actually be trustworthy. He was rather unsure about how to feel on this issue; part of him was weary of the similar surroundings, but something deep inside him was full of hope for the humans here. From the conversation with the bartender he had found out about the de facto truce with the Jackalopes. The simple fact that the humans had opted to not wage war on them reassured this elf's new-found sense of hope. He had only been on this island for a few hours now, but he was cautiously optimistic that Aeris was a place he could settle down for at least a few decades.

Now the main issue to address was a need for something to occupy his time with. That, and a method of acquiring money to assure he had access to life's necessities. The door of the tavern slowly creaked open, revealing a figure that appeared as little more than a shadow due to the sun at their back. Perhaps this one would be able to help this wood elf find a new purpose?
Thepowerofpie

Rhunes : 145

View user profile https://plus.google.com/117282748101194068461/posts

Back to top Go down

Re: In Search of Tranquility[Possible M]

Post  Mousen Heath on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:22 pm

Death was being cruel. Well, she wasn't exactly a kind figure most of the time anyway, but today she was being worse than usual. Clearly, she was in a bad mood, and clearly she was taking out on one Rexus deMorgan, the last necromancer to ever challenge her. He'd been a talented Necromancer, as a child he'd brought back creatures, almost without thinking about it, and as he grew, his abilities grew with him. The art of necromancy was forbidden in the realm he hailed from, only Death herself should have the power to bring things back, if she, herself, wishes to. Rexus was rather lucky he wasn't dead right now, or atleast trapped in the limbo between life and death. If he really was dead, it would have been too easy to bring himself back.

As it was, he was very much alive, singed eyebrows and all. He was now in the service of Death herself, travelling between realms and helping souls move on to the afterlife, a job he'd come to enjoy, despite the fact he wouldn't admit to it. The reason for the singed eyebrows was quite simple, the last realm had been a considerably more violent one and they'd tried to burn him alive, thankfully necromancers don't burn too well, and he'd escaped to this particular realm. Though, he couldn't imagine why he'd ended up in a realm full of talking, spiky bunny rabbits and six-eyed bats. Still, atleast there wasn't a war going on, Rexus couldn't abide wars. For starters, there was himself to take into consideration, he wasn't really much of a fighter. While he couldn't actually be killed while in service to Death, Rexus would rather not be beheaded or impaled, and then there was the extra workload to take into consideration. What was he, a pack mule for souls? Pah, he didn't think so.

At any rate, he might as well make the trip worthwhile, the town of Greystone was quite pleasant, if a little bland. The little port reminded him a little of Bach, the village where he'd originally grown up in, back in Mire. Though, in Bach he'd have fit in better, as it was he stuck out like a sore thumb. Rexus wore a dark travelling cloak, and while that seemed to describe every other person in the middle continents, he was the odd one out here. To avoid any more stares, he dodged into a little tavern, pulling back his hood as he stepped inside. He was an extraordinarily pale man, as white as a sheet with sunken eyes. Surprisingly he was a rather short figure, around five foot six, though, due to his travelling companions he often looked alot shorter. Usually, Rexus could be seen with two human-like Golems, both of them far taller than he. They'd gotten split up in the last realm and Rexus could only hope they'd both be allright, while he didn't look like the type to worry, he really cared about Tamorah and Rubius.

Brown-ish red eyes scanned the room, and Rexus sighed to himself a little. No matter what place he ended up in, the pubs were all the same, perhaps it was a testament to the timeless style of the tavern. Or more likely, it was merely coincidence.

(( I've just woken up, so some of the sentences are bound to be a little rambly. xD; I hope my post is okay, Rexus has alot of back story that I tried to outline simply. I'm not sure it worked too well. XD; ))

Last edited by Mousen Heath on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Mousen Heath
Admin

Rhunes : 430

View user profile http://burrowsofaeris.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Thepowerofpie on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 12:49 am

The traveler's brown-ish red eyes were met immediately by the glow of the elf's burning crimson gaze. Within a moment of this second patron entering the building the wood elf had already left his seat and dashed over to greet the newcomer. "Greetings friend! I am Ranatl Dewsinger, formerly of a the Lorwynn tribe from the continent to the east. Come, join me for a drink!" he called out in a melodious tone as he dragged the man to the bar.

It was rather obvious from his voice that Ranatl was overjoyed with the appearance of someone new. There was more to it than just a new person appearing through, it was because it was this type of person specifically. Something about those eyes showed that a wealth of information was stored in this one's head. They were not the sharp eyes of a warrior, nor were they the dull, relaxed eyes of a peasant. Between his rather frail appearance and the deep pools of knowledge this one had for eyes, Ranatl had figured him a spellcaster of some sort. Normally this would be rather discouraging to him, but this man bound in a long traveler's cloak was here for a reason, and Ranatl was intent on finding that out.

Within the precious few seconds it took Ranatl to drag the newcomer over to the bar he also realized that this over-energetic display was rather unbecoming of him. After assisting the man into his stool, he felt a sort of spark start inside him. He recognized this feeling from his days training under Vlad. Unless he was mistaken, this was the feeling one got when two individuals futures became linked. It was at once a terrible and ecstatic sensation to realize this as the feeling had been absent since he had parted ways with Vlad.

With a more sincere and solemn tone Ranatl spoke once more to the newcomer, "Forgive me for forcing you to the counter, and accept a thousand apologies for my forwardness, but I must have your name stranger. I have a feeling that our fates are intertwined rather closely, and that the tides of destiny have brought us together for a reason. May I offer you a meal and drink on my coin friend?"
Thepowerofpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:41 am

Oh, well that was just wonderful. He'd ducked into the little tavern for some peace and quiet, and now he was being dragged to have a drink with some elf fellow. "It seems I have very little choice in the matter." He said dryly, though there was an amused look in his eyes. He hadn't seen any other elves in the town before this slightly odd encounter, and despite his very slight exasperation he couldn't help but be curious. He'd assumed that in this realm, atleast there was only humans. Obviously, he'd been mistaken. One would assume that the give away had been the ears, or perhaps the strange clothes the scarred stranger wore, but after his dealings with both Death Herself and the art of Necromancy it had become child's play to differentiate between them.

Rexus waved a hand as the man apologised, clearly telling him to forget about it. "Don't trouble yourself, I have met people far more impolite, and far more forward than yourself." He carried no accent, it would be near impossible to guess his origins on his voice alone. "Rexus Amos deMorgan, last of the black blooded line of the deMorgans, practiser of Necromancy and humble servant of the lady Death. Or alteast something along those lines, I forget all the titles. But please, call me Rexus everybody else seems to." He seemed to be rather bored with his various titles and the various other things that came with being a deMorgan, not that the creatures of Aeris would really mind. "Good grief, not fate again, I'm sick of her, too. ... Oh, I'm sorry, you've got no idea what I'm talking about, do you? My apologies." The dark haired man sighed to himself, he really was hopeless sometimes. It had been a while since he'd really spoke to anyone, and suffice to say his social skills were a little bit rusty. "That would be well appreciated." Rexus didn't really eat much as a general rule, he wasn't even sure if he had to eat, the others in his position were actually skeletons, so he didn't really have anyone to compare himself to.

((Sorry for the wait, dear. ))
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thepowerofpie on Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:45 am

The moment Rexus agreed to let Ranatl supply him with a meal, the elf's hand had signaled the barkeeper over. Contrary to his earlier behavior he showcased a good deal of grace with the simplicity of his movements. It wasn't that the excitement of finding someone as interesting as a necromancer wasn't surging through his head, but Ranatl had re-centered himself with a deep breath; once he obtained this mindset it was hard to shake him from it. He was quite eager to find out what this man was up to in Greystone

As the waiter placed a pair of menus down beside the pair the elf posed a question to Rexus: "Well, I'm not exactly the world's brightest scholar, but you're a necromancer, you've got a famous sounding name that I've never heard until now, and you just personified fate as if you knew them. I might be daft, but you aren't from this realm are you Rexus? And in the event that you aren't, then chances are you've come here for a reason." Ranatl's words did not ring of accusation, but rather of curiosity. He paused to flip his single-page menu over to the side with sandwiches on it. Am I wrong in my deductions friend?"
Thepowerofpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:33 am

He was rather quick this one, wasn't he? It was nice to be around someone that was actually took notice and was that was quick to come to a conclusion that many would dismiss as impossible. "You are far from wrong, Rantal, though I must to admit to the name being more infamous, than famous. The deMorgans terrorized Quag in Mire, my home country for years. They'd discovered how to break the barrier between life and death, though Death, herself soon found out. Nobody should have that power, except for her. It's... hard to break away from Necromancy, if it's in your blood it's nigh impossible to stop. The deMorgans hid away in the village of Bach for hundreds of years, until I came along, I must admit to having some rebellious teenage years, which in turn got me into a smidgen of trouble with Death, herself." Because bringing back the old deMorgans and laying waste to Bach and the villages beyond was simply rebellious. "I come from a realm called Mire. We're a little odd, there's seven... well, technically eight creatures known as The Fates, they seem to rule over the realm and guard it. I'm not too sure what they actually do. There's Fate, Death, Ruin, Disease, The Cure, Charity and Irony. All female, all horrid to work with. Instead of simply killing me, Death made me her servant. I do all the hard work for her, while she sits looking pretty. Well, not that pretty, she is Death after all." She'd get him for that one later, he could tell.

"I ferry souls to her, it's a real pain in the neck actually. As for what I'm doing here," Rexus said, shrugging. "I've actually no clue, Grim Reaper Exchange week, perhaps? I'm normally stuck in my own realm. I think I'm just being her eyes for the day, I should be here with two golems, the only things Death let me keep. Rubius and Tamorah, they help me avoid trouble, usually." He looked around again, as if expecting the two creatures to just appear from nowhere, it was fairly obvious the dark-haired man was fretting over them. While one might expect him to he slightly secretive about all of that, he honestly had nothing to hide, it wasn't like he could really die anyway. He could feel pain, oh, he was definitely capable of that, but it wasn't like he had anything to loose from telling the elf all of that.
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thepowerofpie on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

On the outside, Ranatl was still cool and composed, but on the inside, he was having a bit of trouble believing what he was hearing. Being a master of illusionary magics it was nigh impossible to get a lie by him. The slightest twitch, a lack of eye contact, or perhaps a change in tone, for someone like Ranatl something like that would never go unnoticed. Yet Rexus had never shown any sign of lying from the second Ranatl had first made eye contact with him. In a situation like this, there were only two real possibilities; either Rexus spoke the truth about being a necromancer from another plane that was bound in servitude to an avatar of death, or Rexus was the best lier this side of the multiverse. Ranatl seriously doubted anyone could get a lie by him, and Rexus didn't look like the type that would be a great lier anyway, so the only possible conclusion was to believe him.

"Well my friend, it would appear your very unique situation has presented me with a once in a lifetime possibility. I'm far from a master of dimensional magic, but I've studied enough theories of the multiverse to have a rather solid idea about how to navigate it if I ever became so inclined. The one thing I am sure of is that it isn't particularly easy to send a being to another realm even for a being that has a god-like control over magic." He paused a moment to think. Ranatl's mind was racing with the possibilities before him, and it was hard to find the right response to this specific situation. Just as the pause reached the point where one would assume Ranatl was done speaking, he began anew. "I see two very distinct possibilities before us Rexus. If she you call Death has power over you even in this realm, then perhaps I can assist you in your duties while you remain on Aeris. If she does not hold power over you while you stay here, then I propose we begin looking for a spell to track down your companions."

Ranatl was not one to waste such a rare opportunity. Any time that he found himself stuck in a situation that left him clueless, he would do his best to learn something to it. As of late his philosophy had become scientia est potentia*, and this was a situation from which he could learn much. Ideally when Rexus' work on this plane was done, Ranatl might be able to observe a being be transported between realms, or perhaps even make the voyage himself. The possibility of witnessing such an immensely powerful spell would doubtless give him new insight into the function of the multiverse. This wasn't an opportunity that he was likely to ever have again, and he was going to do his darnedest to broaden his magical prowess via Rexus' presence. Perhaps he could even learn a bit of necromancy, but he knew better than to ask someone he had only just met.

A quick flip of the wrist turned the menu back over; a snap and a pointing finger called the barkeeper's attention to the dish Ranatl intended to order for himself. A few more hasty movements produced a single golden coin on the bar and indicated that it would be covering both patrons' meals. It would appear that Ranatl had either gone through these motions before, it simply had an above average amount of dexterity since he was able to do all this without even stopping to look at the menu or the barkeeper. "Have you found anything you wish to eat friend? I'll personally be going with a nice salmon I think."

((*Latin for knowledge is power))
Thepowerofpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

For Rexus, there was little point in lying. While, for obvious reasons, he wouldn't want everyone in Aeris to know who he was, it honestly didn't matter him telling the elf, why would it? Death Herself wouldn't care, being generally apathetic to most things, so it wasn't a problem. "Well, I suppose it must be. I've spent a little time looking into travelling between realms, but I never really came to any conclusions over it, though. I couldn't guess what she's up to." He didn't really mind the travelling, it was a change from the usual tedious nature of his existence, at any rate. Rexus had to wonder if she was still upset about Tamorah accusing them of having a domestic row, it was rather funny when you thought about it; a necromancer and the personification of death having a domestic row. Well, that was what happened when you spent far too much time around someone. So long as he never found himself finishing the end of her sentences, good grief, that would be horrid. Which reminded him, where were they? The worry about the two of them was gnawing away at him, even if he didn't really show it.

Absorbed in his own thoughts, Rexus looked up suddenly when Rantal started to talk again. "Oh, sorry." He said hurriedly. "I believe that Death's being rather lenient lately, I should like to find out where they are first. I'm rather at a loss without them, I'm afraid." Well, that was an understatement. "I doubt very much that she would mind me finding out where they are before I start to look for any lost souls." He suspected that was why he was here, with the more violent deaths the souls of those unfortunate people seemed to stick around. They could also be rather vicious themselves, poltergeists and the like, most troublesome.

In all honesty Rexus didn't eat alot, not exactly because he was doing it on purpose or anything, merely because he figured he didn't really need food, considering the fact he really wasn't properly alive anyway. Or atleast, he didn't think he was... Either way, it didn't mean that he disliked food, or had stopped eating altogether. Infact, much to Rubius's amusement, he tended to comfort eat when stressed. He was an odd kettle of fish really, at first he seemed to be the most powerful necromancer Mire had ever seen, a black hearted villain of sorts, but that was far from true. Many of his mannerisms could even be described as 'cute' or silly at the very least, he was far from intimidating, really. Hence why Rexus needed two golems to be impressive for him. While he wasn't exactly a figure of nightmares, one couldn't let themselves forget that he had an exceptional talent for necromancy, perhaps rivalled only by that of Death herself. "I'll be having the salmon as well, then."

(( Rexus has gone in my head from being the character that was annoyingly overly 'emo' to a kind of grief stricken door-mat, to well, the kind of... awkward little grim reaper that would cry at sad movies, and is barely five foot five. xD; And his relationship with Death has gone from him being terrified of her to them arguing like an old married couple and being hideously domestic before both of them freaking out about that. XD; Atleast he's less of a Mary-sue now, right? xD; ))
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thepowerofpie on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:52 am

It wasn't that Ranatl was intentionally malicious -his actions were justifiable in his eyes after all- but more that his way of doing things was more cold and calculated than most. For most, this exchange with Rexus would merely be a refreshing conversation, but in his eyes it was series of complex formulas buzzing through his head. Each slight twinge of a facial muscle was feedback Ranatl could use to attempt to modify his behavior. Each hint brought him one step closer to being exactly the type of person that Rexus would divulge the secrets of his talents to.

Some would say it wasn't a bad thing entirely. On the outside, Ranatl was friendly and helpful. Yet deep inside he knew that his every response was carefully considered, and the bubbly outer-image was a mere charade. All he wanted from this exchange was to enhance his magical prowess, and broaden the depth of his knowledge. In an interesting reversal from what one normally hears of, Ranatl was just in his means, but unjust in his ends.

Apparently everything was playing right into Ranatl's hands. Rexus wasn't questioning him even the slightest about why he was being so helpful. Part of him thought these ways were behind him, that they had faded away over the years. Clearly that part of him was wrong.

Several moments passed as Ranatl tried to dredge up his old memories of dimensional magic. It was easily the most complex discipline he had ever studied, and attempting to wrap his head around it was almost painful. Nearly a minute passed before he had even figured out where to begin. "I'll need a few details if I'm to assist in the search Rexus," he mused. "Can you tell me where and when you were last with your companions, and do you have anything that might have a hint of their energies still about it?"

Any chance to further question Rexus vanished as the bartender interrupted him with a pair of smoked salmon. The food wasn't exceptional, for better or worse. Ranatl passed one plate to his newest associate, and began to dine on the other plate himself. Despite the food's lackluster nature, Ranatl took great in consuming it. His mannerisms hinted at a life of luxury, despite the opposite being far closer to reality. Much to his surprise, the salmon was actually entirely edible, perhaps even appetizing, this time around.
Thepowerofpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mousen Heath on Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:24 am

"It was raining, a rather bleak flat place. Full of rivers and it was mostly covered in marches and tiny little villages of one sort or another. Hideously religious, terrified of magic. The villagers, I mean. Not the... village?" His social skills needed work, evidently. Taking upon himself to atleast sound a little educated he continued. "The houses were made of wood and they rose above the marches on wooden stilts no more than a two foot above the marsh water. I believe it was called... Chough." Despite how it was spelt 'Chough' was pronounced like 'chock'. "We couldn't have been separated more than a couple of hours."

At his second question Rexus scrunched up his for a moment, thinking. "Oh, I do believe I've got something..." He rummaged around in his pockets for a moment, pulling out a stack of letters, a few small bones and a small silver flask before pulling out a little silver bell. "That's their's, Tamorah gave it to me before we split up." He scraped up the bones and tossed the silver flask in his pocket. The stack of letters in the meanwhile he flicked through, as if making sure none of them had managed to misplace themselves from the short trip from his pocket to the counter before gently placing them back in his pocket.

Rexus nodded in thanks before accepting his plate of salmon, he picked at it as he ate obviously trying to avoid any bones that had somehow managed to appear in his fish.
Mousen Heath
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down